February 14th

 There are hundreds of festivals being celebrated annually across the globe. Some countries celebrate tens of thousands of festivals year after year. Some of these festivals originated from cultural beliefs, religion, seasons of the year, and so on. 

I'm not a big fan of festivals. Nonetheless, I started doing my research about common holidays and festivals a while back. No more celebrating blindly! 

What I found is questionable. For example Easter celebration - I see people's attention drawn more to easter bunnies and easter eggs than the cross of Jesus Christ. I know Easter to be a festival of the celebration of the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus. How some parts of the world replaced the ultimate sacrifice on the cross with bunnies and eggs is saddening. 

Feb 14th is another one that is questionable: Valentine's Day. The story behind this celebration is unclear, muddled, dark, lustful, bloody, and idolatrous (Arnie Seipel, 2011; Taysha M & Rebekah L, 2020). It's indeed clear that there's bewitchment, manipulation... an anti-God kingdom in operation. If this day is truly a day to celebrate love, then I choose to celebrate the Giver of the greatest love of all - Jesus Christ. The One who paid the price for my sins and the sins of the whole world. I choose to reflect on the love I have for my husband, children, family, friends, and neighbours. Is it God's kind of love? 

"While we were still weak, at the right moment, Christ died for ungodly people. It isn’t often that someone will die for a righteous person, though maybe someone might dare to die for a good person. But God shows his love for us because while we were still sinners Christ died for us."

Romans 5:6‭-‬8 CEB

How can I have a relationship with Go

1. Confess your sins to God. Romans 3:10, 23; 5:1

2. Ask that the blood of Jesus will cleanse you from all your sins. Hebrew 9:22, 1 John 1:7-9

3. Ask Jesus to come and reign in your life

4. Forgive yourself and move on. 

Therefore if anyone is in Christ [that is, grafted in, joined to Him by faith in Him as Savior], he is a new creature [reborn and renewed by the Holy Spirit]; the old things [the previous moral and spiritual condition] have passed away. Behold, new things have come [because spiritual awakening brings a new life]

2 Corinthians 5:17 AM

5. Read your Bible and pray every day

6. Pray that God will lead you to a Bible-believing church and fellowship with them


Pray

Lord Jesus, I come to you today; save me and I shall be saved. Heal me and I shall be healed. Forgive me of all my sins (confess them). Have mercy on me. Come and be the Lord over my spirit, soul, and body. Help me not to go back to my old way of life - give me a new beginning. I am yours, Lord! In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen

©️ Eunice Oderinde

Arnie Seipel, (2011). The Dark Origin of Valentine's Day ( Arnie Seipel 2011) https://www.npr.org/2011/02/14/133693152/the-dark-origins-of-valentines-day

Taysha Murtaugh & Rebekah Lowin, (2020). The Origin of Valentine's Day may Surprise you - Here's what to Know.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/a46353/history-of-valentines-day/



Comments

Popular Posts