Christmas: Celebration of Christ or Paganism

 Year after year, I see a shift in people's focus on Christ to merchandise during the Christmas season. I grew up knowing that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth, His coming to the world as the Lord and Saviour. It's a time to reflect on His humility, lowliness, selflessness, and love for you and me. A time to celebrate His ultimate sacrifice. A time to rededicate one's life to Jesus. A time of sober reflection and genuine repentance. A time to surrender one's life to Jesus, the Lord, and Saviour of the world.


In this present age, I see that our attention is drawn more to decorations and buying gifts for our loved ones than the real reason for the season. In a survey conducted by the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA) in 2018, the average Canadian spent $643 on Christmas gifts. Americans spend more than $1trillion on Christmas shopping. Solomon calls this vanity upon vanity! 


Please don't get me wrong; I'm not saying you shouldn't give gifts, but the main point is to take a moment to acknowledge the Giver of the gift of your soul. Would you take a moment to celebrate the King of kings and the Lord of lords? Would you ask Jesus to come into your life? Would you rededicate your life to Him today? Tomorrow may be too late!

How can I have a relationship with God?

1. Confess your sins to God. Romans 3:10, 23; 5:12

2. Ask that the blood of Jesus cleanse you from all your sins. Hebrew 9:22, 1 John 1:7-9.

3. Ask Jesus to come and reign in your life.

4. Forgive yourself and move on.  

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ [that is, grafted in, joined to Him by faith in Him as Savior], he is a new creature [reborn and renewed by the Holy Spirit]; the old things [the previous moral and spiritual condition] have passed away. Behold, new things have come [because spiritual awakening brings a new life]."

2 Corinthians 5:17 AMP

5. Read your Bible and pray every day.

6. Pray that God will lead you to a Bible-believing church and fellowship with them.

Prayer

Lord Jesus, I come to you today; save me, and I shall be saved. Heal me, and I shall be healed. Forgive me of all my sins (confess them). Please have mercy on me. Come and be the Lord over my spirit, soul, and body. Help me not to go back to my old way of life - give me a new beginning. I am yours, Lord! In Jesus name, I pray. Amen

Important Information

Giving your life to Jesus does not mean you will not experience challenges in life. You may be persecuted because of your faith in Jesus. You may experience pain, temptations, trials, disasters, loss, and so on. If any of these things happen to you, know assuredly that He is with you. The difference between you and an unbeliever is God's promises - His presence and the ultimate reward, which is eternity with Him in heaven.


 ©️ Eunice Oderinde








Comments

Popular Posts